Deeper Under

Me, myself and why.

3/10/2013

How I met your... my producer (+song!!!)

One thing that's been crucial for my 'career' was the acoustic two-side single that I recorded in the fall of 2011. It's been for so many coincidences that I tend to think it's all destiny. I printed 50 pieces of this single and later on literally run to the concert of this certain electro pop band. Saw the last 15 minutes of their performance and after the gig I chatted with the lead singer. We had same kind of history, we had both started writing songs in an early age and then on moved to producing in teenage years, as a 'one man band'. The singer, who is also a producer, songwriter and what else, promised to help me in future and if I recall correctly, he offered to give me some mixing tips.

Things happened and soon I was 'a technician' at their club gig. This basically meant eating with them, chilling with them at the backstage, watching their soundcheck, eating their snacks and drinking their drinks... Haha. It was a dream come true. Quite far from a technician's job but I did-not-complain!!

At the venue I handed out the acoustic single to this new producer friend of mine and on the next morning as we chatted out, he asked if I wanted to learn producing music. Hell yes! Soon an EP was in the works. And has been for the last, what, 14 months! Haha. I have advanced so fucking much. Pardon my French but it's just mental how much I have advanced because of this great meet-up.

Haha, and when we met with the producer at the studio, I played him 10 of my rough rock 'n roll songs. He was confused. He was amazed. What had he done?! They did not meet his expectations at all. He had heard two acoustic pop songs. And now this fella was offering him 10 rough rock songs? Ugh! I had started experimenting with the electronic genre after discovering the producer's band and then I played one of them to him and he was blown away. "More of these, please". I didn't like the idea. I wanted to make an lo-fi indie rock record in vein of Olavi Uusivirta's Nuoruus single. But then, I was just so in love with the producer's band that it took my heart and I started producing music on my laptop and suddenly they started sounding mind-blowing not only to myself but also to the producer who had inspired me. Mental.

This unreleased song was the b-side of the single. I recorded it again last summer because I liked the song but did not like the production back in 2011. The lyrics are once again personal and tell of the feelings I had in the fall of 2011. They are pretty self-explanatory. "To let this situation proceed under its own weight or to just go cold turkey would be all the same". The communication between two people might have frozen or stopped, and their relationship is flatlining as in dying. Flat line = dead.

Hope you like the song! There's a slight Passenger vibe to it now that I've discovered the guy, OR THEN NOT. It's kind of a pop "folk". In captions for it's kind of far from the real folk.




Flatlining 170712

To let this situation proceed
under its own weight
or to just go cold turkey
would be all the same

But nevertheless, the recent silence
has taken all my hope and powers
I wish this would never end
but we are flatlining

It can't be as hard to see
as it is to say
No, it can't be as hard 'cause
You must have noticed by now

You've got some former experience
So how would you revive ourselves?
I wish this would never end
but we are flatlining

Nevertheless, the recent silence
has taken all my hope and powers
I wish this would never end
but we are flatlining
We are flatlining

No comments:

Post a Comment